REVIEW Nokia Lumia 925 review
https://techrti.blogspot.com/2013/08/review-nokia-lumia-925-review.html
Nokia Lumia 925 review
DESIGN
The Lumia 925 marks the first time when Nokia has used metal in its Lumia portfolio. The aluminum frame feels polished and premium and the curves on the corners remind me of the N8, another solid camera phone. If you are missing polycarbonate, then don’t, as the back still is made of polycarbonate plastic. That might come as a bummer especially after the premium glass and metal front but it doesn’t feel too shabby. Unlike the Lumia 920 where there was enough space to house the camera inside the body, there is a slight bump on the back of the Lumia 925. The polycarbonate plastic moulds snuggly around the bump and it doesn’t look like an anomaly. There is a dual LED flash above the lens and the wireless charging connectors and speaker down below.
Both the micro USB and audio jack connector ports are on the top edge along with the micro-SIM card tray. The right edge has the volume rocker keys, the power button and the dedicated camera shutter key. The other two edges have been left bare. I would have preferred having the speaker at the bottom edge rather than the back where it gets muffled either when the phone is kept on a surface or when it is held in the hand, but then this situation is not unique to the Lumia 925.
HARDWARE
The Lumia 925 comes with 16GB of internal storage while the Lumia 920 came with 32GB and both phones do not have an expandable memory card slot. Nokia has added a sixth lens element in the camera while the Lumia 920 had just five, which it claims would give sharper photographs – a major complaint among most Lumia 920 users. In order to achieve the thin frame, the Lumia 925 dumps wireless charging but users can buy a snap-on cover that brings the feature.
CAMERA
The advantage of the Lumia 925 in less than ideal lighting conditions is apparent but I noticed that ‘brightness enhancement’ kicked in even in well-lit conditions. I compared photos clicked with the iPhone 5 and the Lumia 925 inside a well-lit mall and found that the iPhone’s colors were closer to the actual colors while the Lumia 925′s had a cold tinge to them.
Having said that, for regular users, the ability to click photos in conditions where other camera phones capture nothing in itself would be a validation of Nokia’s claims. No doubt, even I would prefer having the Lumia 925 over an iPhone 5 at a pub or a house party for clicking photos. And then there are some software features that make the camera even better.
SOFTWARE
My favorite, however, is Nokia Pro Cam, which was first introduced in the Lumia 1020. It is available on the Lumia 925 too and lets users tweak settings like white balance, manual focus, exposure, ISO and other settings. The best thing I like about it is it shows the results as you tweak individual settings, which gives a crash course on how cameras work. You can even map either Pro Cam or Smart Cam as the default camera app so it opens automatically every time you press the dedicated camera button.
Another feature that I used a lot was the ability to block numbers from the call history or messaging inbox. Apple too is bringing this feature in iOS 7 and it comes in handy especially given the spam sms and calls one gets these days.
Meanwhile, the app situation remains grim as ever though now there is an official Twitter app with push notifications (made by Twitter and not Microsoft) as well as WhatsApp, which has finally reached at par with other platforms. However, the scenario with Google apps has worsened.
Ever since Google stopped supporting Exchange for Gmail, there is no push mail for Gmail on Windows Phone, which gets irritating. While Nokia and Microsoft might shift the blame to Google, the fact remains that it is Windows Phone users that suffer, which is not good for both the companies. In fact, during the week I used the Lumia 925 as my primary phone, I had to ensure I had my iPhone or HTC One with me all the time, lest I miss any important mail. Another thing I noticed is I couldn’t add anything in inline copy and my only option was to copy the entire text, paste it in my reply box and then edit/add in it.
PERFORMANCE
Yes, Windows Phone still doesn’t have a great app catalog but the apps I use the most – Twitter and WhatsApp – are there. There is a third-party Instagram app too, called 6tag, if you use Instagram. What disappointed me the most, however, was the email experience and that is something either Microsoft or Nokia needs to fix ASAP – with or without Google’s support.
The biggest surprise for me was the battery, which lasted me for almost an entire day regularly. That is something I have never expected in any device running Windows Phone and despite using the same 2,000mAh battery as the Lumia 920, it lasts much longer. I suspect it has something to do with the ‘glance’ feature Nokia has launched with the Lumia 925 that shows the clock on a part of the homescreen all the time. This feature ensured I didn’t have to on the display to see the time (something that I do a few dozen times all day), which would have saved some battery.
I didn’t face any problem with in-call voice quality and neither did the person on the other side of the line. I loved Nokia’s camera tweaks and how it makes it easy for users to do more with the camera rather than making them jump hoops to get great results. I have my doubts about the seemingly ‘enhanced’ photo quality in well-lit conditions where everything comes out brighter than it really is, it seems people like that sort of thing. The low-light photo capture quality remains unrivalled.
Post a Comment